Monday, March 24, 2008

கரவலம்பம் - Sankaracharya

shrImatpayonidhiniketana chakrapANe
bhogIndrabhogamaNiranjitapuNyamuurte |
yogIsha shAshvata sharaNya bhavAbdhipota
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 1 ||

O Lakshminrsimha, whose abode is the ocean of milk, who hold the (sudarSana) discus in Your hand, whose pleasing form is adorned by the jewels that are the hoods of Adi Sesha, who are the Lord of the Yogis, the Eternal One, who provide protection to those who seek it, the boat by which
one crosses the ocean of miseries, provide me the support of Your hands.

brahmendrarudramarudarkakirITakoTi -
saN^ghaTTitaaN^ghrikamalaamalakaantikaanta |
lakshhmIlasatkuchasaroruharaajahaMsa
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 2 ||

Your lotus feet are touched by the tips of the crowns of Brahma, Indra, Rudra, the Maruts and Suurya. The brilliance of Your lotus feet thus adds to Your effulgence, O dear one! You are the King of swans sporting near the beautiful lotus breasts of Lakshmi. O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaaraghoragahane charato muraare
maarograbhiikaramR^igapravaraarditasya |
aartasya matsaranidaaghanipiiDitasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 3 ||

O Muraari (enemy of Mura)! I have been tormented by the fierce and terrifying lion called desire (kaama) while wandering in the dense
forest called samsaaric existence. I have been scorched by the heat of the summer called envy (matsara). To me who have been thus afflicted,
O Lakshminrsimha, do You provide the support of Your hands.


saMsaarakuupamatighoramagaadhamuulam
saMpraapya duHkhashatasarpasamaakulasya |
diinasya deva kR^ipaNaapadamaagatasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 4 ||

Having reached the bottom of the unfathomable and extremely fearful well called samsaaric existence, I have been troubled by the hundreds of serpents called miseries. O Deva! O Lakshminrsimha! To me who am helpless and who have reached this wretched condition, do You provide the support of Your hands.

saMsaarasaagaravishaalakaraalakaala-
nakragrahagrasananigrahavigrahasya |
vyagrasya raagarasanorminipiiDitasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 5 ||

In the ocean that is worldly existence, my body has been eaten by large and dreadful crocodiles and whales that are Time. I have been afflicted by the waves called passion and attachment to the organ of taste. O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaaravR^ikshhamaghabiijamanantakarma-
shaakhaashataM karaNapatramanaN^gapushhpam.h |
aaruhya duHkhaphalitaM patato dayaalo
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 6 ||

The tree of worldly existence arises from the seed of sin. Its numerous branches are the endless actions (karmas), its leaves are the organs of the body, its flower is passion (kaama), its fruit is sorrow. Having ascended this tree, I am falling down. O compassionate Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaarasarpaghanavaktrabhayogratiivra-
daMshhTraakaraalavishhadagdhavinashhTamuurteH |
naagaarivaahana sudhaabdhinivaasa shaure
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 7 ||

Worldly existence is a serpent which has opened its gigantic mouth, revealing its most dreadful and sharp fangs filled with terrible venom. This venom has burnt up my body and has destroyed it. O Lord whose vehicle is Garuda! O Lord whose abode is the ocean of milk! O Shauri! O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaaradaavadahanaaturabhiikaroru-
jvaalaavaliibhiratidagdhatanuuruhasya |
tvatpaadapadmasarasiisharaNaagatasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 8 ||

In the forest conflagration of worldly existence (illusion), I have been burned badly. Even every single hair on my body has been burned by large and fearful columns of flames. In this condition I have sought the shelter of the cool lake that is Your lotus feet. O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaarajaala-patitasya jagannivaasa
sarvendriyaartha-vaDishaartha-jhashhopamasya |
protkhaNDita-prachura-taaluka-mastakasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 9 ||

I am like a fish, caught in the net of worldly existence. My palate and head have been severely torn apart by the fish-hook that is the objects of the
senses. O Lord in whom the world resides! O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaara-bhiikara-kariindra-karaabhighaata-
nishhpishhTa-marmavapushhaH sakalaartinaasha |
praaNaprayaaNa-bhavabhiiti-samaakulasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 10 ||

The fearful rogue elephant of worldly illusion has struck me with its trunk, completely crushing all my vital parts. I have been overcome by the
fear of worldy existence and death. O Destroyer of all suffering! O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

andhasya me hR^itavivekamahaadhanasya
choraiH prabho balibhirindriyanaamadheyaiH |
mohaandhakuupakuhare vinipaatitasya
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 11 ||

O Lord! My great wealth called power of discrimination (viveka) has been stolen away by the powerful thieves called senses. I am blind (without the power of discrimination between things eternal and noneternal). In this condition, I have been pushed into the dark well called delusion. O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

baddhvaa gale yamabhaTaa bahutarjayantaH
karshhanti yatra bhavapaashashatairyutaM maam.h |
ekaakinaM paravashaM chakitaM dayaalo
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 12 ||

I have been bound by hundreds of snares of worldly attachments. The soldiers of Yama (Death) have cast their noose around my neck and are dragging me along, threatening me. I am alone, frightened, and without any independence. O compassionate Lakshmi nrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

lakshhmIpate kamalanAbha suresha vishhNo
vaikuNTha kR^ishhNa madhusUdana pushhkarAkshha |
brahmaNya keshava janArdana vAsudeva
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 13 ||

O Lord of Lakshmi, from whose navel emanates a lotus, O Lord of gods, O Vishnu, O Vaikuntha, O Krishna, O Madhusudana (slayer of Madhu), O Lotus-eyed One, O Brahmanya (the most exalted knower of Brahman), O Keshava, O Janardana, O Vasudeva, O Lakshmi Nrsimha, do You provide me the support of Your hands.

ekena chakramapareNa kareNa shaMkha-
manyena sindhutanyaaamavalambya tishhThan.h |
vaame kareNa varadaabhayapadmachihnaM
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 14 ||

In one hand You hold the (sudarshana) discus; in another You hold the (paanchajanya) conch; another hand rests on (the waist of) the daughter of the ocean, Lakshmi; and the (fourth) hand signifies that You bestow boons and drive away the fear (of the devotees). O Lakshmi nrsimha provide me the support of Your hands.

saMsaarasaagaranimajjanamuhyamaanaM
diinaM vilokaya vibho karuNaanidhe maaM |
prahlaadakhedaparihaaraparaavataara
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 15 ||

Being drowned in the ocean of samsaaric existence, I am deluded. O Lord! O Treasure of compassion! Turn your glance toward me who am helpless. (Just as You) assumed the Supreme avatar for the purpose of eradicating the sorrow of Prahlaada, do You, Lakshmi nrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

prahlaadanaaradaparaasharapuNDariika-
vyaasaadibhaagavatapu.ngavahR^innivaasa |
bhaktaanuraktaparipaalanapaarijaata
lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h || 16 ||

You dwell in the hearts of the best of the Bhagavatas, such as Prahlada, Narada, Parashara, Pundarika, and Vyasa. You are like the desire-fulfilling tree in protecting the loyal devotees. O Lakshmi nrsimha, provide me the support of Your hands.

lakshhmInR^isiMhacharaNaabjamadhuvratena
stotraM kR^itam shubhakaraM bhuvi sha.nkareNa |
ye tatpaThanti manujaa haribhaktiyuktaa-
ste yaanti tatpadasarojamakhaNDaruupaM || 17 ||

This auspicious hymn has been composed by Shankara who is the bee engaged in drinking the nectar of the lotus feet of Shri Lakshminrsimha. In this world, anyone who recites it will be filled with devotion to Hari and will attain the undivided lotus feet of Brahman.

|| shrii lakshhmInR^siMhaarpaNamastu ||

[Note: With this conclusion, I have fulfilled a long-chersihed desire of mine to translate the Lakshmi nrsimha stotra. I would like to acknowledge my gratitude to the Advaiti Prabodhaka Sangha, Dharwad, Karnataka, whose Kannada translation of the shorter version of the stotra was useful in translating some verses. The stotra appears in two versions. The shorter version has 13 verses, and the longer version has 17. I have used the text of the longer version which includes the two verses with references to Prahlada. Drink deep from the ocean of nectar that is the lotus feet of Lakshminrsimha! ]

No comments: